LED stands for Light Emitting Diode. They have been around for decades, however, in recent years they have become more and more affordable.
Unlike incandescent and Traditional bulbs, LEDS are made up of a solid material called a semiconductor. This material is encased either in glass or translucent plastic and can be inserted into a normal screw or bayonet light fitting. When electricity is passed through the semiconductor, tiny subatomic particles called electrons begin to move which produces energy. In this case the energy is emitted in the form of visible light. The more electricity used, the brighter the illumination.
While a traditional bulb has a number of advantages over an incandescent light, LEDs contain a number of benefits over traditional lamps.
- Colour Profile : LEDs are available in a whole range of colours for any lighting situation. traditional lights burn much hotter than incandescent bulbs and therefore only produce a bright white light. This might be good for some situations, but when a different colour is required, LEDs are a better option.
- Heat : Traditional lights not only burn brightly, but they also produce a lot of heat. They can cause a nasty burn when touched by accident and will raise the temperature of a room significantly. This can cause real problems especially in hotter climates. LEDs produce very little heat and do not add to an environment's temperature. Due to their low heat output they are also safer and have a lower chance of starting an accidental fire.
- Energy Consumption : Traditional bulbs use a large amount of electricity to produce light. This can lead to substantial energy bills. LEDs on the other hand use only a fraction of the power which can lead to huge savings each month. They are also better for the environment as they reduce the carbon footprint of those who use them through lower power consumption.
- Long Lasting : While traditional lamps last longer than their incandescent counterparts, LEDs can burn for a staggering 60,000 hours. In that time a consumer would have to buy anywhere from 10 to 20 traditional bulbs just for one socket. This again saves a large amount of money on replacements. It also cuts down on maintenance times. Install an LED and you do not have to worry about it for years to come.
- Power Source : While traditional bulbs can make excellent torches, they are often used in conjunction with a main power source. LEDs on the other hand are able to work off of something as small as a watch battery due to their low power consumption. This increases their uses markedly. Outside Christmas lights, light strips, garden lights - LEDs can easily be used for any situation without the need to be connected to a main electricity supply. This can circumvent any concerns about having a live cable being exposed to the elements.
- Durable : Because LEDs are made from a solid semiconductor they are much more durable than traditional bulbs. Traditional lights are made from quartz and glass and therefore are much more fragile. They can be broken when dropped or bashed, and while the quartz gives them more durability than incandescent bulbs, LEDs are far more reliable. Drop one and it will probably still work. What's more, with little or no glass, LEDs reduce the risk of an animal or child stepping on a stray shard when broken.
- Compact Design : LEDs come in a variety of shapes and sizes and can be manufactured to almost any specification. This is why they are included in everything from mobile phones to security and aircraft's lights. Traditional lamps are more constrained by their bulb design, and as such are less adaptable. LEDs can happily sit flush in a wall cavity or floor without having to make any major changes to the surroundings.
When compared to halogen bulbs, LEDs quite clearly come out on top in a variety of ways. While traditional lights have their advantages, when it comes to savings and longevity, you cannot go wrong with an LED light source.
Teckan is one of Europe's most respected suppliers of LED lighting. Our staff are technically trained on all of our LED lighting ranges and ready to assist you with your LED lighting requirements now.